Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How to make handmade eczema cream: Updated

Please note this blog is no longer updated. (Click here to find my new blog address).


See botton for update.

Our little guy has an eczema looking rash as of late so when I saw the recipe for eczema cream on A Sonoma Garden I knew we should try it.

Instead of using the shea butter and following the recipe exactly we decided to use the hand lotion recipe we converted instead.

1/2 tablespoon of avocado oil
1/2 tablespoon of vitamin E oil
Olive oil
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon emulsifying wax
1/2 water

In a Pyrex measuring glass combine the avocado oil and vitamin E oil, add olive oil to make 1/4 cup total. Then add emulsifying wax and microwave for 1-1.5 minutes or until it is all melted. The temperature on this should read about 155 degrees. Microwave the water for .5-1 minute or until 120-125 degrees. Then pour the hot water into the wax/oil mixture, gently stirring and watch it turn milky white. Then pour the hot lotion into wide mouth pint size jar and place in an ice bath (basically ice and water surrounding it), remove and let cool overnight.

It may be a little separated or have watery (should be 2mm or less) stuff at the bottom, all you need to do to fix this problem is stir it up, then becomes the perfect consistency and stays that way.

I was planning on using it on Gnar for a week to see how well it worked but to my surprise in three days the rash was gone! It worked really really well and also works great for bug bites. The rash came back and we've started using it again.

Since they do not sell emulsifying wax where we live, we got our emulsifying wax from Mountain Rose Herbs, and they also carry avocado and vitamin E oil. I was bummed not to be able to get it from a more local source (especially since the shipping cost was almost as much as the order), but now we know that we like it so I can order a lot more at a time and/or next time I head up to Oregon to visit family I can get just pick some up. The avocado oil was a bit pricey and I had to get it at S&S produce but I think it will still be less expensive then a pricey eczema cream. The vitamin E oil I found at Trader Joe's and it was not to expensive.

Original recipes from A Sonoma Garden!

After making and using the recipe for several months I have realized that it molds within about a month. My recommendation to combat this problem is to store it in the fridge and make only half of a batch. Here is the half batch recipe:

1/2 tablespoon of avocado oil
1/2 tablespoon of vitamin E oil
add olive oil to make 1/8 cup of total oil
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoon emulsifying wax

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in trying this. Thanks for posting it. I have to find out where I can get the wax and avocado oil.

Jennie said...

click on the link for mountian rose herbs! they have it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...