Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homemade Biodegradable Seed Starters: Updated

Update below.

I found this the other day and thought I should share it. Homemade Biodegradable Seed Starters from Toilet Paper Tubes...what a great idea, right?



All you have to do is cut a toilet paper tube in half (or a paper towel tube in quarters or maybe more) and fill it with potting soil, then use as you would normally use a seed starter. Simple...easy...and best of all, FREE! Thanks goes to NW Edible for the idea! :)

So after trying this...I DO NOT recommend it. Once wet the glue released and created a mess. They fell completely apart. I guess you could put tape around them and then take it off when you transplant but I would just recommend using something else. Sorry if any of you already tried it.

2 comments:

Karen Sesnon said...

I've tried similar seed starters (paper egg cartons, etc.) and they never worked very well. Rubber bands might work to hold them together if you used quite a few on each one!

Jennie said...

I agree, but since they spiral down I don't know how well they would work

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...