Monday, November 7, 2011

Harvest Monday 11/1-11/7 2011

Please note this blog is no longer updated. (Click here to find my new blog address).

I did not take any harvest pictures this here is a picture of one of the raised beds.
This raised bed has swiss chard, dragon carrots, red kale, spinach, parsnips, claytonia, mache, red romaine, beets, and deertongue lettuce. Along with a few random volunteers of garlic and onions.

We had salad all week from the garden, a mix of whatever was ready from the raised bed. Our first planting of root veggies never came up so our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are a bit behind and will not be ready for awhile. Our swiss chard has something weird going on with it and I read through all our books to try and figure it out but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. So I just cut the bad away and I hope the new baby leaves will come back strong and provide for us soon.

We "harvested" 6 cornish cross birds this week and all four of our laying girls are laying. We are getting about 2-4 eggs a day now, which is awesome! Please send me any fun egg recipes or let me know if you want eggs (if you are near me, of course)!

We also built a "hoop" house (blog post to come) for the raised bed pictured and the rest currently have tarps over them at night. So far I feel like the fall/winter garden is going pretty well, especially since this is our first try! I am really loving it a lot more than I thought I would...there is something about eating out of your own backyard. I never want to is so enjoyable.

We are linking up with daphnes dandelions for Harvest Monday!


kitsapFG said...

Welcome to the world of season extending! Once you enjoy the benefits of a prolonged fresh harvest season - you will never want to go back. :D

Stoney Acres said...

Good luck with your first winter garden. I love winter gardening. For some reason defying the cold winter weather is super fun for me.

I had some problems with my chard this year as well. Any way you could send a picture of the problem? I am taking the master gardener class right now and I could take your picture in to my instructor and see if he could help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...