Monday, November 7, 2011

Harvest Monday 11/1-11/7 2011

I did not take any harvest pictures this week...so here is a picture of one of the raised beds.
This raised bed has swiss chard, dragon carrots, red kale, spinach, parsnips, claytonia, mache, red romaine, beets, and deertongue lettuce. Along with a few random volunteers of garlic and onions.

We had salad all week from the garden, a mix of whatever was ready from the raised bed. Our first planting of root veggies never came up so our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are a bit behind and will not be ready for awhile. Our swiss chard has something weird going on with it and I read through all our books to try and figure it out but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. So I just cut the bad away and I hope the new baby leaves will come back strong and provide for us soon.

We "harvested" 6 cornish cross birds this week and all four of our laying girls are laying. We are getting about 2-4 eggs a day now, which is awesome! Please send me any fun egg recipes or let me know if you want eggs (if you are near me, of course)!

We also built a "hoop" house (blog post to come) for the raised bed pictured and the rest currently have tarps over them at night. So far I feel like the fall/winter garden is going pretty well, especially since this is our first try! I am really loving it a lot more than I thought I would...there is something about eating out of your own backyard. I never want to stop...it is so enjoyable.

We are linking up with daphnes dandelions for Harvest Monday!

2 comments:

kitsapFG said...

Welcome to the world of season extending! Once you enjoy the benefits of a prolonged fresh harvest season - you will never want to go back. :D

Stoney Acres said...

Good luck with your first winter garden. I love winter gardening. For some reason defying the cold winter weather is super fun for me.

I had some problems with my chard this year as well. Any way you could send a picture of the problem? I am taking the master gardener class right now and I could take your picture in to my instructor and see if he could help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...