Wednesday, August 31, 2011

homeschooling a preschooler

Please note this blog is no longer updated. (Click here to find my new blog address).


We are taking our time to decide if we will be homeschooling or public/charter/private schooling the little guy but I wanted to start something with him at home to challenge him a little more. I started searching on the Internet and got a bit overwhelmed to be honest. This is what I finally came up with. It is very simple and easy but it gives us a focus for the week.

simple and easy...cork board with pockets
I put together a cork board with pockets for each category, which I will change out each week. We will focus everything(reading, puzzles, coloring, crafts, etc.) on the five things of the week. The category: Things we do everyday will of course not change. I plan on showing it to him on weekdays (we've started with three days a week) and then we will go on with our day. I will use it to focus on those things...pointing out the circle if it circle week for example.


Categories

Things we do everyday: brush teeth, listen, clean up, make our bed, get dressed, go potty, eat healthy, sharing, etc. I added this so we have a daily routine that he can look at and check off as he goes. Plus it enforces good daily habits.

Letters: A-Z adding three words for each, I choose some words he didn't know and some he knows but doesn't pronounce correctly.

Numbers: 0-20 adding the number in dots below. I just found this website that has printable letter and number flash cards, after I made them all of course.

Shapes/Colors: square, diamond, star, circle, rectangle, oval, heart, triangle, crescent, green, blue, red, yellow, black, white, brown, purple, pink, orange, and grey.

Animals: I came up with 26 (how many letters we have) that we had at least two examples of at home (from a book, toy, in the back yard, etc.).

Themes: up/down, tall/short, hard/soft, hot/cold, day/night, little/big, family, feelings, farm, jungle, transportation, body parts, plants, ocean, music, neighborhood, weather, emergency personal, forest/river and meals/utensils.

Sub-themes: birthday, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, and seasons.

Most programs have you do 26 to go along with how many letters but I plan on rotating the themes and using the sub-themes the weeks surrounding the holiday, weather pattern or season. I also felt that we should work on things he needs to know not add extras to make the amount work out.

Two websites I found helpful in creating our program:
Letter of the week
Our preschool homeschool

I also got a lot of help from my mom, who ran a daycare when I was a child. So far we are starting our third week and he seems to be really enjoying it. I have already noticed a few things that he has learned and a few things he is now pronouncing better. I will also post some of the crafts, science projects, games, etc. we come up with along the way.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I love this! It looks like the perfect "schooling" for his age. Great job, Mama!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...